Monday, March 2, 2015

4 Ways Social Media Helps Me Preach

If you're like me, you have one major goal for your preaching:  to clearly, correctly communicate the heart of God, so that the listener can experience the change God desires for them.  Since our preaching is all about the goal, we are interested in leveraging any advantage possible to achieve the goal.

Now hopefully the title of this post made you wonder, "How's he going to connect social media to preaching in a positive way?"  I realize that Gospel preaching and social media seem like two unrelated concepts, but actually, social media has proved to be a great benefit to me and my congregation where preaching is concerned.

Given the afforability of social media, and ease with which it can be utilized, it just makes sense for the preacher to use it as a communication tool for the Gospel.

Here are 4 ways social media assists me in preaching the Word:

1. It trains me
I'm wordy.  I suppose that's why I've taken to blogging.  I'm wordy in the pulpit.  I love to wax eloquent about pretty much anything and discuss in great detail Biblical and spiritual ideas.  This is not always advantageous to my congregation, because in my eloquence (well, perceived eloquence) I can easily convalute rather than simplify Biblical truth.  My communication prowess isn't the point of preaching...communicating the Word of God clearly, is.
My people need to understand, and remember the teaching of scripture, not stumble over my delivery.

So, I turned to Twitter.  I decided several years ago that I would discipline myself to tweet insights from the Word, main points from my messages, and other spiritual observations on a regular basis.  That 140 character limitation was my enemy...for a while.  Once I really submitted myself to it, however, I began to think more critically about how I could communicate truth in more succinct, more powerful ways.  As a result, I am doing a better job of self-editing my messages and expressing complex thought with simplified language.  I also notice that my congregation latches onto the simplified phrases and language, and often repeats it in their conversations and social media posts.

2. It teases the public
I usually make two or three 'teaser' posts prior to a message.  There are a couple of effects this has on my audience:
*First, it cultivates an interest in, and excitement about the theme of the message.  Yes, I have actually had people show up to a service because a 'teaser' post either peaked their curiosity, or spoke to an issue that was current for them at the time.
*Second, it prepares the audience for the content of the message.  I love that when they show up to a service, those who have read my posts have already opened their mind up to the theme of the message, and maybe even thought or prayed about it.  All of this serves to position their heart to receive what God is saying to them.

3. It teaches my congregation
Over the past couple of years, our staff has encouraged their people to take notes using Facebook or Twitter.  This is a perfect way to engage a younger crowd in the message.  They want to be on social media anyway, and probably are while you are preaching, so challenge them to post impactful parts of the message.  The advantage here is that your people are listening for main points and key insights from the message....they are learning how to listen to preaching.

4. It transmits the message to the masses
Now because I make 'teaser' posts, and our people post sermon-bytes, we are transmitting the message to literally thousands of people in cyber world.  This means that every message I preach is going global through social media.  Those posts have served to draw people into conversation and have given our people an opportunity to be a witness.  In fact, several of our folks have utilized social media, quite effectively, to evangelize their friends and old acquaintances.

So, thanks, social media, for helping me take the Gospel to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment